HOME > NOURISHING NEWS
Cancer Prevention Tips
Research shows that lifestyle behaviors including healthy eating and physical activity can play a key role in reducing your risk of cancer. In fact, the American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR) promotes these same guidelines for cancer survivors.
Cancer Prevention Tips thru Eating Right!
- Choose Mostly Plant Foods – vegetables, fruits, whole grains and legumes. These foods are rich in fiber and phytonutrients which play a role in cancer prevention. The same findings do not appear to be true for dietary supplements. Make half your plate colorful vegetables & fruit and include a serving of whole grain or legumes.
- Eat Whole or Minimally Processed Foods – research suggests that nutrients found naturally in fresh whole foods offers a protective effect when it comes to cancer. Step away from highly refined processed foods as they may damage cells. Limit common processed foods such as: chips, cookies, processed baked goods, sugary cereals, fried foods as well as fast foods. Calories add up quickly from these foods, making it difficult to maintain a healthy weight.
- Include Plenty of Anti-Inflammatory Foods – build meals & snacks around fish, vegetables, fresh fruit, low-fat dairy and whole grains to reduce inflammation.
- Reduce Added Sugars – sugar can work against the immune system. Limit sugary beverages and foods. Drink mostly water or unsweetened drinks. Tea (black, oolong, green & white tea) contains cancer-protective phytonutrients.
- Maintain A Healthy Weight – manage your weight by staying within the appropriate body weight for your height. Avoid weight gain and increases in waist size.
- Limit Red Meat & Avoid Processed Meats – If you choose red meat, do so in moderation. Have fish and poultry more often. Avoid processed meats such as hot dogs, sausage, bacon and lunch meats.
- Limit Alcohol – It is best not to consume alcohol when it comes to cancer prevention. If you choose to drink, limit it to 1 serving a day for women and 2 for men. A serving is - 1 1/2 oz of liquor, 5 oz. of wine or 12 oz. of beer.
Beyond Diet– Lifestyle Tips
- Include Physical Activity Daily – Physical activity supports a healthy weight. It may also be associated with a lower risk of cancer recurrence compared to being inactive. Check with your doctor before starting to exercise.
- Do not smoke and avoid tobacco use. Smoking is the leading cause of premature, preventable death in the US.
- Be safe in the sun. The majority of skin cancer cases are caused by too much exposure to UV rays from the sun. Limit and practice safe sun exposure. Safe exposure is before 10 AM or after 2PM.
NOURISHING NEWS ARCHIVES
May 2020 Newsletter
April 2020 Newsletter
March 2020 Newsletter
February 2020 Newsletter
January 2020 Newsletter
December 2019 Newsletter
November 2019 Newsletter
October 2019 Newsletter
September 2019 Newsletter
August 2019 Newsletter
July 2019 Newsletter
June 2019 Newsletter